Volunteering is one of the best ways for youth to learn and grow from new experiences. According to prepscholar.com "Admissions officers also love to see community service on college applications. Having community service experience means you’re passionate about making a difference in the world and are ready to take action and be involved."
While you can search volunteernewyork.org for hundreds of ways to take action, check out these links below to find independent youth opportunties. If you're looking to plan ahead or a do a little more research about the types of local nonprofits or causes you want to support, then jump ahead to our free Youth Volunteer Guidebook app for Apple and Android devices!
Opportunities for Age 13 Opportunities for Ages 14-15 Opportunities for Ages 16-17 Opportunities for Youth and Families (all ages)
Don't forget you can always give us a call at 914-948-4452 or schedule time to speak with a volunteer placement specialist for additional matchmaking help.
Youth Volunteer Guidebook
Download the free Youth Volunteer Guidebook for Apple and Android devices:
Frequently asked questions about the app
- What's inside the app?
- Information for youth and families to help get started volunteering locally
- A directory of local nonprofits organizations organized for age group and impact area
- Info about upcoming Volunteer New York! events, additional resources, videos and more!
- How much does it cost?
- Do I have to create a separate account or provide personal details to use it?
- No. Creating a user profile within the app is optional. Click SKIP on the top of the screen after opening the app for the first time to skip logging in or creating a profile.
- Who is it for?
- Local youth and students interested in serving locally. This app can also be used by parents, families, counselors, mentors and teachers as a conversation starter, teaching tool and research aid.
- Where does support for the app come from?
- The Youth Volunteer Guidebook was launched in 2017 and made possible with support from the Carvel Foundation.
Volunteer New York! presents Camp Vollo, a free two-week virtual volunteer camp experience for young changemakers. What is VOLLO? It's a call-to-action about inspiring and empowering volunteers locally to build healthy and resilient communities.
Sign up now:
For more info about Camp Vollo visit volunteernewyork.org/camp
Our easy-to-follow Camp Vollo Activity Book includes two weeks of structured volunteer assignments and goals to create positive impact in your community.
The camp has tracks for both Elementary Students and Middle/High School Students. Each track features daily DIY volunteer activities that were chosen to introduce campers to a variety of local nonprofits and issues facing our community, while providing appropiate context and resources to further the learning when possible. Each activity was also designed to ensure safe social distancing. Camp Vollo issue areas include community building, social justice, saving the planet and COVID-19 relief.
When: July 13, 2020 - August 31, 2020
Duration: 2 Weeks (or any 10 days of your choosing)
Location: Your home / community / virtual
Cost: Free (with option to pay what you wish to support Volunteer New York! programming)
Schools and Groups
The benefits of service are tenfold. Volunteer service is a great way for youth to connect with their local communities and to explore various career paths. As such, we provide a variety of supports for local education facilities and youth groups. In addition to our referral database and Youth Volunteer Guidebook, our staff can provide support for your program. For example, you can:
Families in Service
Opportunities for Youth and Families (all ages)
Re-defining family time - service as a family activity. Volunteer service is a great way for families to work together and to bond over common interest. Our website provides a variety of tools for families who are looking to play an active role in their communities. Whether it is for a single day or for a long-term project, your family can make a difference. Here's a couple of ways you can get your family involved;
- Find a service project for your family through our service database or through the Youth Volunteer Guidebook.
- Register your family as a team in our database.
- Get involved during one of our community-wide days of service
- Find seasonal volunteer opportunities
- Join a local program that encourages volunteerism and for family involvement.
For more information on how your family can serve please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 914-227-9301.