Handy Volunteers for Repair Cafe - Rockland County
What do you do with a broken toaster? Or with a lamp whose switch won't work? Or with a sweater full of moth holes? Or a computer that is glitchy? Toss it? No way! Bring it to the Repair Café, a community event where volunteer Repair Coaches work with community members to fix it at no cost. Repair Café is a free community meeting place to bring a beloved but broken item to be repaired—for free!
Friendly, handy people are needed to volunteer as Repair Coaches to help tinker with and fix (if they can) these items to give them new life. Volunteers with experience in sewing and repairing handheld devices are especially needed for the June 11 event.
Repair Café goals:
- To bring back repairing into local society in a modern way
- To maintain repair expertise and to spread this knowledge
- To promote social cohesion in the local community by connecting neighbors through an inspiring and low-key event
What does a Repair Coach do?
Repair Coaches, to the best of their ability, fix items brought in for repair by the public. They will interact with the public. Some Repair Coaches may be matched up with a young person looking to learn more about vocations. Textile and sewing proficient Repair Coaches will troubleshoot and repair, if able, any and all issues that may be presented: mending, darning, hemming (just sewing, no measurements), fixing stuffed animals, and more!
Repair Coach qualities:
- Cheerful, friendly disposition
- Helpful; likes to chat with people, especially about the repair being performed
- Likes people
- Excellent troubleshooter
- Pass along repair knowledge
- Divert items from the waste stream
- Preserve valuable memories by giving new life to sentimental items
- Kick "planned obsolescence" to the curb!
Express interest below!
Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: