2022 BIKE HSS Cycling Event
BIKE HSS is a one-day cycling "MOVEment" during which friends of the Hospital for Special Surgery, physicians, staff, and members of the local community will ride together safely in support of improved mobility and musculoskeletal health for people worldwide. The event will include two distance routes—25 and 62 miles—and a Finish Line Festival with food, entertainment, and more.
Volunteers will receive a complimentary T-shirt and baseball hat and meals will be provided.
Multiple volunteer opportunities are available, with shifts including (but not limited to):
- 6:30 a.m.-9 a.m.
- 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- 12 p.m.-4 p.m.
Volunteer positions along the route include:
- Rest Stop Volunteers: located every 10-15 miles along the routes. Keep cyclists hydrated and well fed with nutritious eats. Great opportunity for groups!
- Support & Gear (SAG) Volunteers: drive or navigate a minivan with cargo room, picking up riders (and their bikes) in need. Patrol between Rest Stops and dispatched by staff. Must be 25+ and have a valid driver's license.
- Bike Caboose Volunteers: trail the last rider on each of the 2 routes, serve as a master motivator, and is an essential extension of event staff in communication back regarding route pacing, rest stop closure timing, etc. Must be an experienced cyclist.
- Motorcycle Marshalls: dispatched to various "tricky" and high-trafficked intersections throughout the route, maintaining the safety of riders throughout their day. Must provide own motorcycle and have a valid driver's license.
- Medical (Specialty) Volunteers: assist at Rest Stops with all basic medical needs including icing sore muscles, minor scrapes and bruises, ace wraps, and more. Must have medical license (EMT, MD, LPN, RN, PA, etc.).
Volunteer positions along the start/finish line include:
- Registration & Check-In Volunteers: check-in riders for both the 62-mile start and 25-mile start. Distribute check-in packet that includes rider bib, bracelet, and participant SWAG.
- Volunteer Check-In Volunteers: assist the Staff Volunteer Coordinator with checking in pre-assigned volunteers throughout the day.
- Donations & Premiums Tent Volunteers: assist HSS Staff with receiving donations and incentive distribution.
- Info & Participant Services Volunteers: answer participant questions about the route, services, and festival timing, and oversee lost and found.
- Guest Transportation Volunteers: transport guests to and from the parking area to the venue via golf cart. Must have a valid driver's license.
- Food & Beverage Tent Volunteers: assist the caterer with breakfast prior to ride start, as well as lunch/beverage area post-event during the Finish Line Festival.
- Bike Check Volunteers: oversees the "self-check" bike area in keeping it secure, mainly during Finish Line Festival.
- Gear Check Volunteers: manage bag check for those participants wishing to keep their personal items at the festival site while on the road.
- Crowd Control Volunteers: help manage venue flow before and after the ride. Includes corralling riders and managing queues at start line, welcoming and directing riders when they return from their rides, and assisting attendees with direction around the venue.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: