Help young women with autism and related learning and social disabilities develop job skills for employment and life skills for greater independence.
Yes She Can Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping young women with autism spectrum disorders and related social and learning disabilities develop transferable job skills. Its innovative job skills development program is implemented at a retail store operated by Yes She Can called Girl AGain, a resale boutique for gently used American Girl dolls.
Yes She Can trainees participate in the program with the support of work skills coaches who are responsible for helping trainees learn and perform their work duties while teaching problem-solving skills, executive functioning skills, workplace social skills, and emotional regulation.
A volunteer coach works with a staff coach at Girl AGain and may work with individuals one-on-one or in a small group (up to four trainees). Trainees are young women ages 18-28 who are interested in pursuing employment.
Volunteers should have a degree or direct service experience in any of the following areas: Social Work, Psychology, Special Education, Vocational Training, Speech and Language Therapy, Behavior Counseling or related area. Individuals should have direct experience in working with teens or adults with autism or related social and learning disabilities:
- With Director of Training Programs (LCSW), understand the needs of the trainee(s) and their goals for the program.
- Support the social, emotional and cognitive issues of the trainee(s) and help them achieve their program goals.
- Learn the store operations and tasks to be able to teach and support trainees.
- Support the trainee(s) in performing job tasks, assessing their work and providing feedback.
- Serve as coach for 3 hours (or more) per week on a consistent schedule.
- Coaching occurs Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and Friday between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Optional: support trainees when they participate on Saturdays for in-store customer craft workshops (11 a.m.-12 p.m.)