Stars for Soldiers Project
Let soldiers overseas know that they have not been forgotten with United for the Troops's STAR Project. Volunteers will carefully cut a pentagon shape (see example here) around the raised, embroidered stars of retired American flags (those that have been torn or tattered) and mail them to United for the Troops to be sent to soldiers overseas alongside a printed message.
Important Flag FAQs:
- Where do I find a used flag for this project? Volunteers can ask friends, neighbors, or public offices if they spot a flown and worn flag that needs to be retired. NEVER remove a flag without express permission from its owner.
- What types of flags am I allowed to use for this project? NEVER cut a new flag. Flags MUST have the raised, embroidered stars on them; have been flown; and be torn, tattered, or discolored in order to be retired.
- What do I do with the scraps? The remaining pieces of the flag must be retired/destroyed in a dignified way; NEVER throw the unused scraps of the flag in the garbage. Once the project is complete, please ship the unused pieces of the cut-up flags to United for the Troops so they can be properly and respectfully retired.
This is the perfect project for young children, students looking for community service hours, and teams of grown-ups or employees. Volunteers can cut as many stars as they'd like, but please keep track of the time spent (if it's for community service).
This is a self-directed project. To volunteer:
- Express interest below to record this activity in your Volunteer New York! profile and to alert the volunteer coordinator.
- Follow the instructions above for the Stars for the Troops project. See photos here and here for examples.
- Mail or drop off your stars and flag scraps to:
United for the Troops
16 Boniello Drive
Mahopac, NY 10541
Age Minimum (with Adult): 4+, Minimum Age:13+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: