Volunteers are needed to help to control invasive vines, save heritage trees, and improve wildlife habitats in Ward Acres Park. Depending on the day, activities will include cutting and digging out invasive plants and vines, keeping trails clear and passable, and planting native saplings and shrubs.
Wear weather-appropriate clothes and shoes that can get dirty, and bring water and snacks. Volunteers will meet at the Ward Acres Community Garden (near the corner of Quaker Ridge Road and Broadfield Avenue). Training and some tools and supplies will be provided, and then volunteers will move to the worksite.
By registering for this project, volunteers consent to the following statement:
"While every precaution will be taken to safeguard volunteers, it is understood that I release New Rochelle Parks and Recreation, City of New Rochelle, Volunteer New York! and its sponsoring agents from all responsibility, in case of accident or illness, including COVID-19 related illness while participating in this program."
- Masks will be provided for those who don’t bring their own.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided.
- Brand new gloves will be provided to everyone
- Social distance guidelines recommended by the CDC will be encouraged. (However, since it’s a park clean up there will not be any demarcations of 6 feet gaps)
- As always, if you feel sick or have a fever do not attend.
- Safe distance will be enforced at the check in areas for volunteers and staff.