Host a Postcard Party for Refugees
Hearts and Homes for Refugees is looking for volunteers to help host a postcard advocacy event in their local communities. Volunteers can gather their friends and mail the postcards; a toolkit with messages and postcard designs is provided. See below for more instructions.
People who are forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster are called refugees. According to the United Nations, there were an estimated 25.7 million refugees seeking resettlement in another country in 2021. The majority of refugees are hosted by a small number of countries and remain there for several years until they are able to resettle in a new country.
Hearts and Homes for Refugees is a local nonprofit working to support refugees living in the Lower Hudson Valley as well as mobilize volunteers to advocate for policies that support refugees. This postcard project is an advocacy tool to let elected officials know you support refugees. While New York State is fortunate to have Senators and Representatives that stand in solidarity with refugees, these elected officials have many issues to support. By letting them know that their constituents care about refugees, we can help keep support for refugees high on their list of priorities.
- Express interest below to record this opportunity in your Volunteer New York! profile and to alert the volunteer coordinator of your interest.
- This is a self-directed project that can be completed at home. Follow the steps below to get started!
You will need:
- Markers/colored pencils
- Postcard stamps
- Using a piece of cardstock, measure and cut into rectangles that are 3½ inches high and 5 inches wide to create the postcards.
- On one side draw a picture. Try these suggested designs or feel free to draw your own. Themes of unity and togetherness are encouraged.
- On the other side, write a brief message on the left. Sample messages include:
- "Please help ensure the U.S. resettles at least 125,000 refugees annually. My community welcomes refugees!"
- "I support allowing more refugees into the U.S. Thank you for speaking up!"
- Or create your own message that is respectful and handwritten.
- Include your name, city, and zip code so they know you live in the community they represent.
- Address the postcard to one of your national elected officials or use the district map to find your representatives.
- Add a postcard stamp and mail.
- Repeat and send a postcard to each Senator and your representative.
Turn it into a postcard party! Invite a few friends or family members to join you, either in person or virtually, to increase the impact.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 6+, Minimum Age:13+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: